In a world that is constantly moving, constantly changing, and constantly demanding that you offer it your precious energy, time, focus and attention, coming to a place of stillness may seem like an impossible task.
But in truth, it’s not.
Just as you will discover by reading the many life-changing lessons presented below, stillness is always there, always present within you and all around you, waiting to make its presence felt and longing to become one with you.
Be Still: 33 Life-Changing Lessons on the Power of Stillness
1. Be still. Stillness reveals the secrets of eternity.
“Be still. Stillness reveals the secrets of eternity. Eternity embraces the all-possible. The all-possible leads to a vision of oneness. A vision of oneness brings about universal love.” ~ Lao Tzu
2. The only way to counteract chaos is stillness.
“When everything is moving and shifting, the only way to counteract chaos is stillness. When things feel extraordinary, strive for ordinary. When the surface is wavy, dive deeper for quieter waters. ~ Kristin Armstrong
3. In stillness the muddied water returns to clarity. ~ Lao Tzu
4. Stillness is always there.
“The seeker after stillness should be told that the stillness is always there. Indeed it is in every man. But he has to learn, first, to let it in and, second, how to do so. The first beginning of this is to remember. The second is to recognize the inward pull. For the rest, the stillness itself will guide and lead him to itself.” ~ Paul Brunton
“Teach your mind to be still, just like you would teach a puppy to sit.” ~ Bert McCoy
5. To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders. ~ Lao Tzu
6. Not to be able to stop thinking is a dreadful affliction.
“Not to be able to stop thinking is a dreadful affliction, but we don’t realize this because almost everyone is suffering from it, so it is considered normal. This incessant mental noise prevents you from finding that realm of inner stillness that is inseparable from Being.” ~ Eckhart Tolle
7. Be still, and know that I Am is God.
“He says, “Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.” ~ Psalm 46:10
8. Stillness accepts us as we are.
“I bathed myself in silence, wrapped warmly in the comfort of the quiet. Yes, the stillness accepts us as we are.” ~ Liz Newman
9. True creativity flows only from stillness.
“True creativity flows only from stillness. When stillness becomes conscious, the spiritual dimension enters your life and you begin to be guided by an intelligence far greater than the human mind.” ~ Eckhart Tolle
10. Be still, and wait.
“I said to my soul, be still, and wait…So the darkness shall be the light, and the stillness the dancing.” ~ T.S. Eliot
11. In quietness and in trust shall be your strength.
“In returning and rest you shall be saved; in quietness and in trust shall be your strength.” ~ Isaiah 30:15
“In silence man can most readily preserve his integrity.” ~ Meister Eckhart
12. Stillness is the altar of spirit. ~ Paramahansa Yogananda
13. Stillness heals.
“In the inner stillness where meditation leads, the Spirit secretly anoints the soul and heals our deepest wounds.” ~ John of the Cross
14. Silence isn’t empty. It’s full of answers. ~ The Sabi
15. When you extend the seconds of stillness, that’s when you’re able to think and learn.
“I used to think anxiety and insomnia drove me to success, but it was the stillness that let me be good at anything. When you extend the seconds of stillness, that’s when you’re able to think and learn.” ~ Russell Simmons
16. In absolute stillness we discover who we truly are.
“It is only with total humility, and in absolute stillness of mind that we can know what indeed we are.” ~ Wei Wu Wei
“To know yourself as the Being underneath the thinker, the stillness underneath the mental noise, the love and joy underneath the pain, is freedom, salvation, enlightenment.” ~ Eckhart Tolle
17. Whoever investigates the True “I” enjoys the stillness of bliss.
“The mind is only a bundle of thoughts. The thoughts have their root in the I-thought. Whoever investigates the True “I” enjoys the stillness of bliss.” ~ Ramana Maharshi
18. Be still and give up everything that is not you.
“Your duty is to be and not to be this or that. ‘I am that I am’ sums up the whole truth. The method is summed up in the words ‘Be still’. What does stillness mean? It means destroy yourself. Because any form or shape is the cause for trouble. Give up the notion that ‘I am so and so’. All that is required to realize the Self is to be still. What can be easier than that?” ~ Ramana Maharshi
19. Nothing in all creation is so like God as stillness. ~ Meister Eckhart
“That stillness and vastness that enables the Universe to be, is not just out there in space…it is also within you.” ~ Eckhart Tolle
20. You might be tempted to avoid the messiness of daily living for the tranquility of stillness.
“You might be tempted to avoid the messiness of daily living for the tranquility of stillness and peacefulness. This of course would be an attachment to stillness, and like any strong attachment, it leads to delusion. It arrests development and short-circuits the cultivation of wisdom.” ~ Jon Kabat-Zinn
21. The greatest fault of the day is the absence of stillness. ~ Hazrat Inayat Khan
“It is the stillness that will save and transform the world.” ~ Eckhart Tolle
22. Sillness moves mountains.
“Slow is fast, gentle is powerful and stillness moves mountains.” ~ Martha Beck
23. Allow nature to teach you stillness. ~ Eckhart Tolle
24. Plant yourself in stillness and see things clearly.
“But if you can plant yourself in stillness long enough, you will, in time, experience the truth that everything (both uncomfortable and lovely) does eventually pass.” ~ Elizabeth Gilbert
25. In control of desires stillness is attained.
“Through return to simple living comes control of desires. In control of desires stillness is attained. In stillness the world is restored. ~ Lao Tzu
26. The soul has been given its own ears to hear things the mind does not understand. ~ Rumi
27. Meditation is the journey from movement to stillness.
Meditation is the journey from sound to silence, from movement to stillness, from a limited identity to unlimited space. ~ Sri Sri Ravi Shankar
28. Stillness introduces you to the secrets of yourself.
There is nothing as certain as silence, stillness, and solitude to introduce you to the secrets of yourself.” ~ Guy Finley
29. In the stillness of the mind I saw myself as I am – unbound. ~ Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
30. Stillness within one individual can affect society beyond measure.” ~ Bede Griffiths
31. Only when there is stillness in movement does the universal rhythm manifest.
The stillness in stillness is not the real stillness; only when there is stillness in movement does the universal rhythm manifest. ~ Bruce Lee
32. Stillness is your essential nature. ~ Eckhart Tolle
Without stillness life is a blur.
“We meditate so we can see miracles unfolding. Without stillness life is a blur.” ~ Russell Simmons
And these are the 33 life-changing lessons on the power of stillness. What about you? What is one thing stillness has taught you? You can share your comment below 🙂