A lot of us know Charlie Chaplin as a great actor and comedian. But you see, Charlie Chaplin was much more than that. He was a writer, a filmmaker, a musician, and a brilliant man. His thinking was ahead of his time. And because I have found in his words a unique wisdom and deep inspiration, I have compiled some of his most inspiring quotes into these 30 life-changing lessons.
30 Life Changing Lessons to Learn from Charlie Chaplin
“Nothing is permanent in this wicked world, not even our troubles.” ~ Charlie Chaplin
2. Even stars collide, and out of their crashing new worlds are born.
“Even stars collide, and out of their crashing new worlds are born. Today I know “THAT IS LIFE” ~ Charlie Chaplin
“Now, I only live for the moment, where everything is happening. Today I live each day, day by day, and I call it “FULFILLMENT.” ~ Charlie Chaplin
“Think about yourself at least once in your life otherwise you may miss the best comedy in this world.” ~ Charlie Chaplin
“As I began to love myself I recognized that my mind can disturb me and it can make me sick. But as I connected it to my heart, my mind became a valuable ally.” ~ Charlie Chaplin
6. Life is a beautiful magnificent thing.
“Life is a beautiful magnificent thing, even to a jellyfish.” ~ ~ Charlie Chaplin
7. You’ll never find a rainbow if you’re looking down.
“You’ll never find a rainbow if you’re looking down.” ~ Charlie Chaplin
8. A day without laughter is a day wasted.
“A day without laughter is a day wasted.” ~ Charlie Chaplin
“Words are cheap. The biggest thing you can say is ‘elephant’”. ~ Charlie Chaplin
“To truly laugh, you must be able to take your pain, and play with it!”
11. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself.
“Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself.”
12. We all want to live by each other’s happiness, not by each other’s misery.
“We all want to help one another. Human beings are like that. We want to live by each other’s happiness, not by each other’s misery.”
13. Life could be wonderful if people would leave you alone.
“Life could be wonderful if people would leave you alone.”
14. The hate of men will pass.
“The hate of men will pass, and dictators die, and the power they took from the people will return to the people. And so long as men die, liberty will never perish.”
15. We think too much and feel too little.
“We think too much and feel too little.”
16. We are not machines, we are not cattle, we are human beings.
“You are not machines, you are not cattle, you are men! You have the love of humanity in your hearts. You don’t hate: only the unloved hate, the unloved and the unnatural.”
17. You need Power, only when you want to do something harmful.
“You need Power, only when you want to do something harmful otherwise Love is enough to get everything done.”
18. Dictators free themselves, but they enslave the people.
“Dictators free themselves, but they enslave the people.”
19. Man as an individual is a genius.
“Man as an individual is a genius. But men in the mass form the headless monster, a great, brutish idiot that goes where prodded.”
20. Imagination means nothing without doing.
“Imagination means nothing without doing.”
21. Life can be wonderful if you’re not afraid of it.
“Life can be wonderful if you’re not afraid of it. All it takes is courage, imagination … and a little dough.”
22. The mirror is your best friend because when you cry it never laughs.
“The mirror is my best friend because when I cry it never laughs.”
23. A man’s true character comes out when he’s drunk.
“A man’s true character comes out when he’s drunk.”
“You’ll find that life is still worthwhile, if you just smile.”
25. Your naked body should only belong to those who fall in love with your naked soul.
“Your naked body should only belong to those who fall in love with your naked soul.”
26. Life is a play that does not allow testing.
“Life is a play that does not allow testing. So, sing, cry, dance, laugh and live intensely, before the curtain closes and the piece ends with no Applause.”
27. There are more valid facts and details in works of art than there are in history books.
“There are more valid facts and details in works of art than there are in history books.”
28. The trouble with the world is that all despise ourselves.
“That’s the trouble with the world. We all despise ourselves.”
29. The basic essential of a great actor is that he loves himself in acting.
“The basic essential of a great actor is that he loves himself in acting.”
30. In the end, everything is a gag.
“Life is a tragedy when seen in close-up, but a comedy in long-shot. To truly laugh, you must be able to take your pain, and play with it!”
Do you have a favorite quote from Charlie Chaplin? If you do, I would love to know what that is. You can share it in the comment section below 🙂