“Four things to learn in life: To think clearly without hurry or confusion; To love everybody sincerely; To act in everything with the highest motives; To trust God unhesitatingly.” ~ Helen Keller
Helen Keller, a woman of great courage, overcame the adversity of being blind and deaf and went on to become one of the 20th century leading humanitarians. Her life, and the work she left behind have become a source of inspiration for people all over the world. And because I believe that her legacy should be celebrated, I have put together some of her most inspiring quotes compiled as,
30 Life Changing Lessons to Learn from Helen Keller
1. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
“Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. Security does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than exposure.” ~ Helen Keller
2. The best and most beautiful things in the world must be felt with the heart.
“The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched – they must be felt with the heart.” ~ Helen Keller
3. Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.
“Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.” ~ Helen Keller
4. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence.
“Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence.” ~ Helen Keller
5. Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.
“Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” ~ Helen Keller
6. Adversity builds character.
“Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.” ~ Helen Keller
7. Everything has its wonders, even darkness, and silence.
“Everything has its wonders, even darkness and silence, and I learn, whatever state I may be in, therein to be content.” ~ Helen Keller
8. Happiness is not attained through self-gratification but through fidelity to a worthy purpose.
“Many persons have a wrong idea of what constitutes true happiness. It is not attained through self-gratification but through fidelity to a worthy purpose.” ~ Helen Keller
9. Self-pity is our worst enemy.
“Self-pity is our worst enemy and if we yield to it, we can never do anything good in the world.” ~ Helen Keller
10. When one door of happiness closes, another opens.
“When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.” ~ Helen Keller
11. Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much.
“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” ~ Helen Keller
“Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much.” ~ Helen Keller
12. Do not think of today’s failures, but of the success that may come tomorrow.
“Be of good cheer. Do not think of today’s failures, but of the success that may come tomorrow.” ~ Helen Keller
No effort that you make to attain something beautiful is ever lost.
“You have set yourselves a difficult task, but you will succeed if you persevere, and you will find a joy in overcoming obstacles. Remember, no effort that we make to attain something beautiful is ever lost. What I am looking for is not out there, it is in me.” ~ Helen Keller
13. Face your deficiencies and acknowledge them; but do not let them master you.
“Face your deficiencies and acknowledge them; but do not let them master you. Let them teach you patience, sweetness, insight.” ~ Helen Keller
14. Relationships are like Rome — difficult to start out, incredible during the prosperity of the ‘golden age’, and unbearable during the fall.
“Relationships are like Rome — difficult to start out, incredible during the prosperity of the ‘golden age’, and unbearable during the fall. Then, a new kingdom will come along and the whole process will repeat itself until you come across a kingdom like Egypt… that thrives, and continues to flourish. This kingdom will become your best friend, your soul mate, and your love.” ~ Helen Keller
15. Always do your best.
“When we do the best that we can, we never know what miracle is wrought in our life, or in the life of another.” ~ Helen Keller
16. So long as you can sweeten another’s pain, life is not in vain.
“Believe, when you are most unhappy, that there is something for you to do in the world. So long as you can sweeten another’s pain, life is not in vain.” ~ Helen Keller
“The unselfish effort to bring cheer to others will be the beginning of a happier life for ourselves.” ~ Helen Keller
17. Life is a succession of lessons which must be lived to be understood.
“Life is a succession of lessons which must be lived to be understood.” ~ Helen Keller
18. You can do anything you want as long as you stick to it long enough.
“We can do anything we want as long as we stick to it long enough.” ~ Helen Keller
19. Your success and happiness lies in you.
“Your success and happiness lies in you.” ― Helen Keller
20. The only thing worse than being blind is having sight and no vision.
“The only thing worse than being blind is having sight and no vision.” ~ Helen Keller
21. Give evil nothing to oppose and it will disappear by itself.
“It is wonderful how much time good people spend fighting the devil. If they would only expend the same amount of energy loving their fellow men, the devil would die in his own tracks of ennui.” ~ Helen Keller
22. We need limitations and temptations to open our inner selves.
“We need limitations and temptations to open our inner selves, dispel our ignorance, tear off disguises, throw down old idols, and destroy false standards. Only by such rude awakenings can we be led to dwell in a place where we are less cramped, less hindered by the ever-insistent External. Only then do we discover a new capacity and appreciation of goodness and beauty and truth.” ~ Helen Keller
23. The most beautiful world is always entered through imagination.
“The most beautiful world is always entered through imagination.” ~ Helen Keller
24. There is joy in self-forgetfulness.
“There is joy in self-forgetfulness. So I try to make the light in others’ eyes my sun, the music in others’ ears my symphony, the smile on others’ lips my happiness.” ~ Helen Keller
25. True friends never apart maybe in distance but never in heart.
“True friends never apart maybe in distance but never in heart.” ~ Helen Keller
26. The world is moved along, not only by the mighty shoves of its heroes, but also the aggregate of the tiny pushes of each honest worker.
“I long to accomplish a great and noble task, but it is my chief duty to accomplish small tasks as if they were great and noble. The world is moved along, not only by the mighty shoves of its heroes, but also the aggregate of the tiny pushes of each honest worker.” ― Helen Keller
27. Good friends walk in when the old ones walk out.
“Good friends walk in when the old ones walk out.” ~ Helen Keller
28. Compare yourself with those less fortunate rather than more fortunate.
“Instead of comparing our lot with that of those who are more fortunate than we are, we should compare it with the lot of the great majority of our fellow men. It then appears that we are among the privileged.” ~ Helen Keller
29. Your mind is as big as the universe.
“The mind is as big as the universe.” ~ Helen Keller
“Believe. No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted island, or opened a new heaven to the human spirit.” ~ Helen Keller
Do you have a favorite quote from Helen Keller? If you do, I would love to know what that is. You can share it in the comment section below:)