“I’ve always thought that people need to feel good about themselves and I see my role as offering support to them, to provide some light along the way.” ~ Leo Buscaglia
Leo Buscaglia, a man whose work I truly love and value, spent his entire life living in love. Through his presence, his books, his talks, and all his work, he inspired and empowered people from all over the world to love more. He knew that love is life and life is love and that the more love we welcome into our hearts, the more life we’ll add to our lives. And he wanted the whole world to be immersed in love. He wanted us all to live a more fulfilling life. And today I will share with you some of his most beautiful and most inspiring quotes, compiled as:
25 Life Changing Lessons to Learn from Leo Buscaglia
1. A total immersion in life offers the best classroom for learning to love.
“What we call the secret of happiness is no more a secret than our willingness to choose life.” ~ Leo Buscaglia
“Love is not some complex, mystical abstraction. It is something accessible and human that we learn through our everyday experience, as often at times of failure as in moments of ecstasy.” ~ Leo Buscaglia
“Love is life. And if you miss love, you miss life.” ~ Leo Buscaglia
2. Just living is not enough.
“It’s not enough to have lived. We should be determined to live for something. May I suggest that it be creating joy for others, sharing what we have for the betterment of personkind, bringing hope to the lost and love to the lonely.
3. Change is the end result of all true learning.
“Change is the end result of all true learning.” ~ Leo Buscaglia
4. The greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing.
“The person who risks nothing, does nothing, has nothing, is nothing, and becomes nothing. He may avoid suffering and sorrow, but he simply cannot learn and feel and change and grow and love and live.” ~ Leo Buscaglia
5. Success often lies just on the other side of failure.
“We seem to gain wisdom more readily through our failures than through our successes. We always think of failure as the antithesis of success, but it isn’t. Success often lies just the other side of failure.” ~ Leo Buscaglia
6. Only the weak are cruel. Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.
“Only the weak are cruel. Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.” ~ Leo Buscaglia
7. When we cling to pain we end up punishing ourselves.
“We need to learn to let go as easily as we grasp and we will find our hands full and our minds empty.” ~ Leo Buscaglia
8. You cannot control what happens to you, but you can control your attitude toward what happens to you.
“There are two big forces at work, external and internal. We have very little control over external forces such as tornadoes, earthquakes, floods, disasters, illness and pain. What really matters is the internal force. How do I respond to those disasters? Over that I have complete control.” ~ Leo Buscaglia
“Man is happiest when he is creating. In fact, the highest state of which man is capable lies in the creative act.” ~ Leo Buscaglia
9. Love is the ability and willingness to allow those you care for to be themselves.
“A loving relationship is one in which the loved one is free to be himself — to laugh with me, but never at me; to cry with me, but never because of me; to love life, to love himself, to love being loved. Such a relationship is based upon freedom and can never grow in a jealous heart.” ~ Leo Buscaglia
10. We never lose the people we love, even to death. They continue to participate in every act, thought, and decision we make.
“I know for certain that we never lose the people we love, even to death. They continue to participate in every act, thought and decision we make. Their love leaves an indelible imprint in our memories. We find comfort in knowing that our lives have been enriched by having shared their love.” ~ Leo Buscaglia
11. The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be.
“The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don’t let them put you in that position.” ~ Leo Buscaglia
“We need not be afraid to touch, to feel, to show emotion. The easiest thing in the world is to be what you are, what you feel. The hardest thing to be is what other people want you to be.” ~ Leo Buscaglia
12. Love yourself, because without you the rest of us are without a source of many wonderful things.
“Love yourself—accept yourself—forgive yourself—and be good to yourself, because without you the rest of us are without a source of many wonderful things.” ~ Leo Buscaglia
13. Worry never robs tomorrow of its sorrow, it only saps today of its joy.
“Worry never robs tomorrow of its sorrow, it only saps today of its joy.” ~ Leo Buscaglia
14. True love is dedicated to continual becoming.
“As soon as the love relationship does not lead me to me, as soon as I in a love relationship do not lead another person to himself, this love, even if it seems to be the most secure and ecstatic attachment I have ever experienced, is not true love. For real love is dedicated to continual becoming.” ~ Leo Buscaglia
15. There are not kinds of love, love is love; there are only degrees of love.
“There are not kinds of love, love is love; there are only degrees of love. Love is trusting, accepting and believing, without guarantee. Love is patient and waits, but it’s an active waiting, not a passive one. For it is continually offering itself in a mutual revealing, a mutual sharing, Love is spontaneous and craves expression through joy, through beauty, through truth, even through tears. Love lives in the moment; it’s neither lost in yesterday nor does it crave for tomorrow. Love is Now!” ~ Leo Buscaglia
16. You can be what you want to be.
“I believe that you control your destiny, that you can be what you want to be. You can also stop and say, ‘No, I won’t do it, I won’t behave his way anymore. I’m lonely and I need people around me, maybe I have to change my methods of behaving,’ and then you do it.” ~ Leo Buscaglia
17. Your talent is God’s gift to you.
“Your talent is God’s gift to you. What you do with it is your gift back to God.” ~ Leo Buscaglia
18. What love we fail to give, will be lost for all eternity.
“What love we’ve given, we’ll have forever. What love we fail to give, will be lost for all eternity.” ~ Leo Buscaglia
19. Without love, we too, like the infant left alone, would cease to grow and develop.
“We need others. We need others to love and we need to be loved by them. There is no doubt that without it, we too, like the infant left alone, would cease to grow, cease to develop, choose madness and even death.” ~ Leo Buscaglia
20. You don’t love to be loved; you love to love.
“Love is always bestowed as a gift – freely, willingly and without expectation. We don’t love to be loved; we love to love.” ~ Leo Buscaglia
“Love is always open arms. If you close your arms about love you will find that you are left holding only yourself.” ~ Leo Buscaglia
21. Life is a continuous spiritual practice.
“The fact that I can plant a seed and it becomes a flower, share a bit of knowledge and it becomes another’s, smile at someone and receive a smile in return, are to me continual spiritual exercises.” ~ Leo Buscaglia
22. The opposite of love is not hate – it’s apathy.
“I have a very strong feeling that the opposite of love is not hate – it’s apathy. It’s not giving a damn.” ~ Leo Buscaglia
23. Make no one your idol. They will never live up to your expectations.
“Never idealize others. They will never live up to your expectations.” ~ Leo Buscaglia
24. Life is here and now.
“Life lived for tomorrow will always be just a day away from being realized.”
25. There is great joy in the simple things.
“I still get wildly enthusiastic about little things… I play with leaves. I skip down the street and run against the wind.” ~ Leo Buscaglia