You know what I really, really, really love? Quotes! I love quotes. The way I see it, quotes have the power to change the way you think and transform your whole life. They have so much essence, so much wisdom and so much depth. And that’s why I love them so much! My friends would often make fun of me, calling me an “encyclopedia of quotes”, because I always seem to have a quote to share with them 🙂
50 Quotes That Will Change the Way You Think
Anyway, here are 50 powerful quotes that will most definitely change the way you think, but also the way you live your life:
Progress is impossible without change.
1. “Progress is impossible without change, and those who cannot change their minds cannot change anything.” ~ George Bernard Shaw
2. “We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.” ~ Albert Einstein
The world belongs to humanity, not to leaders, kings or religious leaders.
3. “World belongs to humanity, not this leader, that leader or that king or prince or religious leader. World belongs to humanity. “ ~ Dalai Lama
4. “The happiness of your life depends upon the quality of your thoughts: therefore, guard accordingly, and take care that you entertain no notions unsuitable to virtue and reasonable nature.” ~ Marcus Aurelius
5. “As you think, so shall you become.” ~ Bruce Lee
You cannot get sick enough to help sick people get better, or poor enough to help poor people thrive.
6. “You cannot get sick enough to help sick people get better. You cannot get poor enough to help poor people thrive. It is only in your thriving that you have anything to offer anyone. If you’re wanting to be of an advantage to others, be as tapped in, turned in, turned on as you can possibly be.” ~ Abraham
7. “Work is love made visible. And if you cannot work with love but only with distaste, it is better that you should leave your work and sit at the gate of the temple and take alms of those who work with joy. For if you bake bread with indifference, you bake a bitter bread that feeds but half man’s hunger. And if you grudge the crushing of the grapes, your grudge distils a poison in the wine. And if you sing though as angels, and love not the singing, you muffle man’s ears to the voices of the day and the voices of the night.” ~ Kahlil Gibran
8. “Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.” ~ Confucius
9. “For the first time in my life I saw the truth as it is set into song by so many poets, proclaimed as the final wisdom by so many thinkers. The truth – that Love is the ultimate and highest goal to which man can aspire. Then I grasped the meaning of the greatest secret that human poetry and human thought and belief have to impart: The salvation of man is through love and in love.” ~ Viktor E. Frankl, Man’s Search for Meaning
These 3 are your greatest treasures.
10. “Simplicity, patience, compassion. These three are your greatest treasures. Simple in actions and thoughts, you return to the source of being. Patient with both friends and enemies, you accord with the way things are. Compassionate toward yourself, you reconcile all beings in the world.” ~ Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching
11. “Much talking is the cause of danger. Silence is the means of avoiding misfortune. The talkative parrot is shut up in a cage. Other birds, without speech, fly freely about.” ~ Saskya Pandita
12. “God’s one and only voice is silence.” ~ Herman Melville
These are the supreme virtues.
13. “Can you deal with the most vital matters by letting events take their course? Can you step back from you own mind and thus understand all things? Giving birth and nourishing, having without possessing, acting with no expectations, leading and not trying to control: this is the supreme virtue.” ~ Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching
14. “In pursuit of knowledge, every day something is added. In the practice of the Tao, every day something is dropped. Less and less do you need to force things, until finally you arrive at non-action. When nothing is done, nothing is left undone. True mastery can be gained by letting things go their own way. It can’t be gained by interfering.” ~ Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching
We are all ONE.
15. “We are one, after all, you and I, together we suffer, together exist and forever will recreate each other.” ~ Pierre Teilhard de Chardin
To be great is to be misunderstood.
16. “Is it so bad, then, to be misunderstood? Pythagoras was misunderstood, and Socrates, and Jesus, and Luther, and Copernicus, and Galileo, and Newton, and every pure and wise spirit that ever took flesh. To be great is to be misunderstood.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
17. “Don’t Take Anything Personally: Nothing others do is because of you. What others say and do is a projection of their own reality, their own dream. When you are immune to the opinions and actions of others, you won’t be the victim of needless suffering.” ~ Don Miguel Ruiz
Beauty is not in the face; beauty is a light in the heart.
18. “Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight.” ~ 1 Peter 3:3-4
19. “Beauty is not in the face; beauty is a light in the heart.” ~ Khalil Gibran
Your body is but the temporary clothing of your Soul.
20. “Never tell a child,” said George Macdonald, ‘you have a soul. Teach him, you are a soul; you have a body.’ As we learn to think of things always in this order, that the body is but the temporary clothing of the soul, our views of death and the unbefittingness of customary mourning will approximate to those of Friends of earlier generations.”
Hold on to your dreams.
21. “If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.” ~ Henry David Thoreau
22. “All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.” ~ Walt Disney
23. “Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of somebody else.” ~ Judy Garland
24. “Learn to… be what you are, and learn to resign with a good grace all that you are not.” ~ Henri-Frédéric Amiel
Integrity and truth are more valuable than money and fame.
25. “Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth.” ~ Henry David Thoreau, Walden, or Life in the Woods
26. “Fame or integrity: which is more important? Money or happiness: which is more valuable? Success of failure: which is more destructive? If you look to others for fulfillment, you will never truly be fulfilled. If your happiness depends on money, you will never be happy with yourself. Be content with what you have; rejoice in the way things are. When you realize there is nothing lacking, the whole world belongs to you.” ~ Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching
27. “How much better to get wisdom than gold, to get insight rather than silver!” ~ Proverbs 16:16
Don’t go where the herd is going, go where your Soul wants you to go.
28. “Two roads diverged in a wood and I – I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.” ~ Robert Frost
29. “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” ~ T.S. Eliot
The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination.
30. “Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.” ~ Albert Einstein
31. “When you get free from certain fixed concepts of the way the world is, you find it is far more subtle, and far more miraculous, than you thought it was.” ~ Alan Watts
32. “A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent upon arriving. A good artist lets his intuition lead him wherever it wants. A good scientist has freed himself of concepts and keeps his mind open to what is.” ~ Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching
There are no limits except those you impose on yourself.
33. “The garden of the world has no limits, except in your mind.” ~ Rumi
“When you are inspired by some great purpose, some extraordinary project, all your thoughts break their bonds: Your mind transcends limitations, your consciousness expands in every direction, and you find yourself in a new, great and wonderful world. Dormant forces, faculties and talents become alive, and you discover yourself to be a greater person by far than you ever dreamed yourself to be.” ― Patañjali
34. “Don’t tell me the sky’s the limit when there are footprints on the moon.” ~ Paul Brandt
Do not feel lonely, the entire universe is within you.
35. “What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
36. “The kingdom of God is within you.” ~ Luke 17:21
37. “Do not feel lonely, the entire universe is within you.” ~ Rumi
Don’t look back, go forward.
38. “There are far, far better things ahead than any we leave behind.” ~ C.S. Lewis
39. “The first recipe for happiness is: avoid too lengthy meditation on the past.” ~ Andre Maurois
Allow life’s challenges to make you better, not bitter.
40. “You may encounter many defeats, but you must not be defeated. In fact, it may be necessary to encounter the defeats, so you can know who you are, what you can rise from, how you can still come out of it.”
41. “The most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity, and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, and a deep loving concern. Beautiful people do not just happen.” ~ Elisabeth Kübler-Ross
Dare to ask questions.
42. “He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes; he who does not ask a question remains a fool forever.” ~ Unknown
43. “When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That’s my religion.” ~ Abraham Lincoln
44. “And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.” ~ Galatians 6:9
Count your life by friends and smiles, not years and tears.
45. “Count your age by friends, not years. Count your life by smiles, not tears.” ~ John Lennon
God is Love.
46. “He who does not love does not know God, for God is love.” ~ 1 John 4:8
Don’t die with the music still in you.
47. “A musician must make music, an artist must paint, a poet must write, if he is to be ultimately at peace with himself. What a man can be, he must be” ~ Abraham Maslow
48. “When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, “I used everything you gave me.” ~ Erma Bombeck
Leave your worries behind.
49. “People tend to dwell more on negative things than on good things. So the mind then becomes obsessed with negative things, with judgments, guilt and anxiety produced by thoughts about the future and so on.” ~ Eckhart Tolle
50. “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life ? “And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.” ~ Matthew 6:25-34
And these are just a few of the many, many, maaaany, quotes I love so much. Do you have a favorite quote that you would like to share with us? If you do, I would surely love to know which one it is. You can share it in the comment section below 🙂
~love, Luminita💫Add to favorites